Some service providers offer what’s called “unmetered content”. This refers to content or services whose data usage isn’t counted against your monthly data quota.
This is particularly common in mobile broadband services, which may come “bundled” with unmetered access to entire services such as Foxtel, Apple Music, streaming movie channels, Optus Sport, and the like.
- nbn™ Sky Muster™ Plus plans are mostly unmetered except for streaming video and VPN content.
- Standard nbn™ Sky Muster™ plans don’t generally include unmetered content.
- nbn™ Fixed Wire and Wireless providers may offer unmetered content on some of their plans.
- Non-nbn™ fixed wireless and other providers may choose to include access to unmetered content or services.
Telstra also provides unmetered access to a range of educational websites when accessed via any of its broadband services.
How does unmetering work?
Assume you have a Telstra Bigpond mobile broadband plan with 4Gb of data. This comes “bundled” with free access to Foxtel.
You open up Foxtel on your Telstra iPad and binge-watch a series over a long weekend. This uses up 10Gb of data.
You also watch two movies over Netflix, which takes up 2Gb.
By the end of the weekend, you’ve got 2Gb of your 4Gb left. As far as Telstra’s concerned, that 10Gb of Foxtel content doesn’t exist.
Unmetering only applies to the actual connection you use. If you open Foxtel on the same iPad, but using your standard nbn™ Sky Muster™ satellite connection instead, you’ll be using your metered satellite data.
Telstra has a list of its unmetered content on its website. For other providers, contact them directly to find what may or may not be unmetered under your plan.
Education sites over Telstra and Bigpond connections
In 2015, Telstra introduced unmetered access to some distance education sites and portals, if accessed from a Telstra or Bigpond mobile or fixed broadband service. This list is subject to change and updates. They’re in addition to the general unmetered sites listed on the Telstra website.
The full information from Telstra can be seen on the website.
- Queensland Department of Education and Training pages (for example, det.qld.gov.au, education.qld.gov.au)
- WA Department of Education and Training (e.g. http://det.wa.edu.au/)
- SA Department for Education & Child Development (centra.sa.edu.au)
- Creative Generation (creativegeneration.deta.qld.gov.au)
- Scootle Community (https://www.scootle.edu.au)
- Moodle (http://Moodle.openaccess.edu.au)
Note that unmetering won’t apply if you’re accessing the internet using International Roaming.
Additionally, some elements of an unmetered site may be metered if they are sourced from other websites that are metered, including things such as advertisements, YouTube videos, Google maps or social media services.
Every time you visit or refresh a page you will incur the download of that content.
List of unmetered education sites and IP addresses
These sites were identified in consultation with the ICPA.
Updated by BIRRR in February 2016
Information in these links was accurate as of 1 April 2021. Check with your provider first about any unmetered content or services they may provide.